Sunday 18 July 2010

A year older, a month closer....

I promised on my last blog that I wouldn't do any major pleads for sponsorship, but concentrate on the climb itself. Before I do though, let me thank all of you that have donated so generously so far. I've broken through the £2000 mark now which is well on my way to the £3000 target.

A big boost came from my 40th Birthday Party which generated over £200 on the night, but also prompted several people to donate on my justgiving page the week of the party.

So yes, I am now four-oh. Today as I write this I am suffering from my first 40-something hangover and I have to report it isn't any better than those I became an expert in during my 30's. I'm trying to claim this one as part of my Kili training, trying to train my body for the effects of altitude training.... no, I'm not buying it either.

So on to the trek itself.

I set off in two months, flying overnight to Nairobi, before transferring to Tanzania in the morning. We get a bit of rest for the remainder of that date and the fun starts in the morning.

The rest of the itinerary looks a bit like this:

Day 3: A briefing from the quack, guides and tour manager, then a 4.5 hour hike to the Mandara Huts at about 9,000 feet.

Day 4: Nice early start for an 8 hour hike to Horombo Huts at 12,334 feet

Day 5: This day is all about acclimatisation to the altitude, with a 5 hour trek that ends back where we started the day!

Day 6: A 'nice' 8 hour trek to the Kibo Huts at 15,256 feet.

Day 7: Another acclimatisation day, with a 5 hour hike back to the Kibo Huts.

Day 8: SUMMIT DAY!!!! We get woken up (assuming we've slept) at midnight to embark on a slow ascent up the steepest and most difficult part of the challenge to Gilmans Point (18,855 feet) which should take about 5 hours in the dark and the snow. At this point, you have officially summitted, but the intention is to take on the further two hour challenge in the wind and the snow to hit the very top point of Africa, Uhuru Peak at 19,342 feet., hopefully in time to see the sunrise over the Serengeti. Its then a tidy little 12 hour hike back down the mountain.

Day 9: A 'simple' 7 hour trek back down the mountain to a much needed bath, beer and celebration dinner.

Day 10: A days relaxation in Tanzania before flying home, via Nairobi, to my lovely family in blighty. That's the thought that will keep me going I'm sure.

I don't know what sort of contact I'll have whilst over there, but I'm going to do all I can to update loved ones on my progress as I go.

Off on holiday next week, then its a rush to get jabs, visas and last minute requirements.

When I write next time, it'll be a month away.

GULP.

No comments:

Post a Comment